Welcome to the 2017-2018 School Year!
Notes of Interest
* REMIND APP– Highland is going to try out the Remind App to help communicate with our families. If you would like to use the app as an easy way to communicate with us and keep updated with events, click on your child’s class link below:
- Open House: We will have an open house on Tuesday, August 15th, from noon to 4 pm. Besides having the opportunity to chat with the teachers, you will also be able to pick up your child’s enrollment folder. This is a good time for parents of new students to bring in a copy of their child’s vaccination records and birth certificate.
- Enrollment Paperwork: To make things easier on our hardworking staff, it would be swell if everyone gets their completed paperwork in as soon as possible. That way we can be able to do our state reporting using accurate information, have that warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that our files are up-to-date, and also get out the always anticipated student directory in a timely manner. When filling out your child’s enrollment packet, don’t forget to give us your email address so that you can receive our newsletter and other school notes via email! There is even room to include extra email addresses for other family members who want to be kept up-to-date on Highland matters.
- First Day of School: The first day of school will be on Thursday, August 17th. The first two days, the 17thand 18th, will be half- days for orientation (8 am to noon). We do not have lunch at school on half-days. On August 21st, we will begin our regular school schedule (8:30 am to 2:45 pm). Extended day care will also begin on Monday, August 21st. Extended day care is available at an additional cost and runs from 7:30am-8:15am and 3:00pm-4:30pm.
- If your child will not be able to attend the first days of school, it is vital that you let us know ahead of time. It would be unfortunate for your child to lose his/her spot due to lack of communication.
- Community Meeting and Ice Cream Social:There will be an Ice Cream Social & School Community and Title I Meeting on Wednesday, August 23rd, at 5:00 pm. The meeting will provide a general explanation of our philosophies and rules, information about the upcoming school year and our Title I program, a brief overview of our homework system, discussion of volunteer opportunities (with sign-up), a question and answer session, and much more!. This event is family friendly. While parents are joining in on the meeting, students will watch a video. After the meeting, we will have all have an ice cream social! (Note: The playground will be closed during the event.)
- School Supplies: Highland we don’t ask parents to go to the store with a lengthy supply list. We already have classroom materials for the students to use! Although we provide all of the necessary school supplies, we could always use some financial help picking up items from time to time. If you see an awesome, can’t-be-missed sale on school supplies at the beginning of the year, please feel free to pick those items up. We can always us extra supplies. We could always use iTunes, Target, or Costco gift cards.
- Infant/Child CPR and First Aid Training.The teachers are getting re-certified for CPR and First Aid on the morning of Friday, August 11th. You are welcome to join the fun. The cost for the training is $40 (it goes directly to Desert Heart CPR). If you are interested in attending the training, please let me know so that I can give Desert Heart a count.
- Helping Hands: If you are interested in helping Highland get ready for the new school year, please give us a call. There are so many small and large projects that need to be completed before the new school year begins (e.g. washing toys, cleaning cubbies, dusting, etc.). The best time to come in and help out is during the week of August 7-11. Please call or email if you are able to help out, and we can schedule a time for you to come in.
- Websites:Check out our website at www.HighlandFreeSchool.org for general school information, a school calendar, nifty websites for our unit topics, and more! Also, don’t forget to friend us on Facebook to keep up-to-date on current events and notices.
It is not too early to start thinking about contributing to Highland via the tax credit program. Instead of letting the state decide where to use your taxes, you can allocate your tax dollars directly to the school. Individual taxpayers can give up to $200 (up to $400 for couples). Any amount helps… if you have any questions, please talk to Nick or Teresa. This is our most beneficial and important fund-raiser!
We look forward to seeing you soon!